SOUTH ST. LOUIS, COUNTY, MO. (KTVI) – An elderly couple survived a quick moving fire thanks to some help they received from their caretaker and neighbors.
The Mehlville Fire Protection District is investigating and believes the fire was accidental.
It started late Saturday night in the garage of their home on Baltusrol Dr. in South St. Louis County. The caretaker was able to shut the door from the house to the garage and then helped the elderly couple escape.
She began by literally lifting the elderly woman out of bed.
"She put her in the wheelchair, had enough thought to grab the quilt from the bed and hold that over her as she ran with her in the wheelchair out the front door," explained neighbor Helen Cook.
Mike Cruz is another neighbor and just happened to be driving by when the fire started.. He helped the elderly man out the front door.
"The health care lady was the one who really helped," said Cruz. "I helped them come out the porch, brought them to the edge of the street and then took them to the neighbors."
Cruz and Cook agree that a few moments later and the couple might not have survived the smoke and flames.
"There were flames already inside the front room where the people were exiting the house," explained Cruz.
Cook talked with the elderly man by phone on Monday. He was staying at an area hotel paid for by the American Red Cross.
Cook said the man just turned 91 years old last week.