Mother, Two Children Die In Mobile Home Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


UNION, MISSOURI ( KTVI)--A mother and her two children died in a fire in Union, Missouri Friday night. Neighbors said flames erupted in the trailer home in the 400 block of Independence around 10:30pm, overtaking it in minutes. The fire was so intense it was impossible to save the victims: Samatha Cooksey, 24, and her children, Allison Cooksey, 7, Logan Berger 1.

There are so many who`d give their lives to bring them back, including Logan`s father, Steve Berger, who also lives in the home but was at work; plus firefighters and neighbors, too.

“They were a wonderful family and we loved them. Bless them, Lord,” said friend and neighbor, Michele Becker, crying.

She said she could feel the heat from the flames, in her kitchen across the way upon learning of the fire.  The flames were raging before anyone knew the home was on fire.

“We saw it coming out the front door and the kitchen window... if I would have known what was going on, I would have gone through a window to try and get them out.  There was nothing we could do once we saw how hot the fire was.  When the firefighters got here, it was even hotter,” Becker said.

“It forced our fire crews to do what we call an exterior attack on the fire.  We quickly knocked down the fire from an exterior perspective.  Once we got it darkened down our crews went interior.  At that point we located 3 deceased subjects in the home,”' said Union F.P.D. Chief, Russell Hamilton.

Firefighters were taking it hard; so were friends.

Their thoughts were with those kids, their mom, and Steve Berger, who rushed home from work to find he`d lost them all.

“I’ve been praying for him.  How do you deal with something like that when you lose your family?  It’s bad enough for me knowing them for them to be gone.  I was praying they got out but they didn`t. Hopefully, they`re in a better place now,” said friend, Sondra Saler.

There was word a space heater was the source of the fire.   Firefighters had yet to confirm that Saturday. Hamilton did say the cause was accidental. He also said given the extensive damage we may never know if the trailer home had a working smoke detector.

The victims' loved ones were looking to start a fund to help with the expense of three, unexpected funerals.

Email: Andy.Banker@tvstl.com

Follow me on Twitter:  AndyBankerTV

Facebook:  Andy Banker on Fox 2

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.