St. Louis Community College Answers Questions Surrounding Bathroom Attack

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KIRKWOOD, MO. (KTVI) – St. Louis Community College is facing tough questions Friday about how it handled an attack on one of its campuses last week.

A week ago Thursday a 19 year old student says she was washing her hands in a bathroom at the Meramec campus in Kirkwood when she looked up and saw a man standing behind her.

Blythe Grupe says the man put her in a headlock and put his hand over her mouth to silence her.

But she managed to scream and a campus instructor heard her and called police.

18 year old Jevon Mallory, also a student at the college, was arrested by campus police and booked at the Kirkwood police department.

He was then released that same day at the request of campus police.

It wasn't until Blythe and her family took her story to the media on Monday that Mallory was re-arrested and charged with felony assault on Tuesday.

Friday the Chancellor of St. Louis Community College acknowledged mistakes were made and changes would be made to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Even after Mallory was released on Thursday students were not notified about the incident.

It wasn't until Mallory was rearrested, charged and jailed that a campus wide email went out on Tuesday.

The police reports quote Mallory as saying he was angry and was trying to withdraw the victim from life.

Mallory remains jailed in the St. Louis County jail with bail set at $10 thousand dollars.

Previous Story:
Update: Man Arrested For Choking Woman In School Bathroom

Follow Melanie Moon on Facebook:
Melanie Moon on Facebook

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.