Vigil Held For 2-Year-Old Killed In Hit & Run

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SPANISH LAKE, MO (KTVI)-- There was a massive turnout Tuesday night, at a vigil for Darion Griffin, 2, the little boy killed by a hit and driver in Spanish Lake.

There was also a message from the family of the suspect, Charles Guice, 17, of Dellwood.

There was no room for cars, speeding or otherwise at the vigil in the 1500 of Redman.

A crowd of more than 200 took over the street where Darion died.

Guice’s sister, Katrina Steed, told Fox 2, Guice, a football player at Roosevelt High School, was grieving the boy’s loss, too, in a jail cell.

“I can’t even put into words how sorry he is,” Steed said.  “He was like in tears.  I’ve never seen him cry…he cried.  He cried.  He was very remorseful.”

Police said Guice was speeding without a license when he hit Darion and Darion’s aunt, Sheriea Evans, 17, in front of Darion’s Grandmother’s house.

Evans tried to get in front of the boy to protect him.

She was at the vigil, weeping, with her wounded leg on a pillow.

Darion’s mother was there, too, sobbing uncontrollably at times.

Steed said Guice left the scene in a haze of both panic and grief.

He turned himself into police Monday.

“He grabbed me and he held me so tight.  He walked me out the back door.  He talked to me.  He told me what happened.  He just kept grabbing his head.  He was shaking.  His legs were shaking,” Steed said.

But a charge of only leaving the scene of an accident, a class “D” felony, hardly seemed like justice at the vigil.

Still they prayed for Guice.

“The young man who driving the car, Father we ask you that you touch him right now,” the family’s preacher prayed.

“My grandson is sitting in a morgue because this man hit him.  He didn’t have a chance.  He didn’t have a chance,” said Darion’s grandmother, Alexandria Goree.  “They can charge him with murder, involuntary manslaughter.  It won’t bring my grandson back.  My daughter, she will have to live with this for the rest of her life.  But for him to just be able to walk away,” Goree said, fighting tears.

She wanted more than the class D felony charge for leaving the scene, which carries a maximum penalty of 4 years in prison.

A spokesman for St. Louis County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch said the case was still open – more charges could be forthcoming.

Guice’s relative said there were 5 people in the SUV he was driving.

He turned himself into police, Monday.

Related Stories:

Charges Filed In Fatal Hit & Run Crash

Family Mourns 2-Year-Old Killed in Hit & Run
2-Year-Old, Aunt Hit by Driver Who Leaves the Scene


Follow me on Twitter:  AndyBankerTV

Facebook:  Andy Banker on Fox 2