Hazmat Situation Forces Summer School Evacuation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HAZELWOOD, MO (KTVI) - There was a scare at Hazelwood East when a Hazmat situation forced students out of the building.

Around 10:40 Wednesday morning, a school official smelled what he thought was chlorine.

It turned out to be muriatic acid, which is used to balance out chlorine levels in the school's indoor swimming pool.

A container of the substance was leaking.

Two students and a construction worker went to a nearby hospital, but are expected to be okay.

Summer school students were evacuated from the building and eventually bussed home.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.