Woman charged in burning death of dog

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Adrienne Martin

Adrienne Martin

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)-- A suspect was charged Thursday in the disturbing case of a dog that died after being set on fire.

Charged with two felonies, Animal Cruelty and Knowingly Burning, is Adrienne Martin, 35, of the 3900 block of Palm in North St. Louis.

"It is just so inhumane I can`t even see straight," said Randy Grim, founder of Stray Rescue of St. Louis.

On July 10, the dog was found in the backyard of a home in the 4300 block of Cote Brilliante Avenue, tethered to a heavy chain. He had been doused with something flammable and set on fire. His face and body were severely burned.

Rescuers named him Brownie, and rushed him to Stray Rescue for emergency medical care, but Brownie died two days later.

"Today some justice has been served," Grim said. "It`s not going to bring him back and I wish that he got to experience the love here at Stray Rescue, but at least finally someone was arrested."

Grim says part of what lead police to the suspect were several posts on her Facebook page.

On July 9, the day before Brownie was found burned, a post reads: "I`m on killa mode. #killdogsdotcom... today"

The following day, the same day Brownie was burned, an additional posting read: "I mean what I say and I say what I mean. #alldogsdon`tgotoheaven.com."

Much of the credit for this arrest is being given to the St. Louis Animal Cruelty Task Force, created in October 2012 by Mayor Francis Slay.

"When people start seeing that we are getting serious about this, that if you do this we will track you down and you will be punished," Slay said. "We hopefully will see a reduction in this."

Thursday afternoon, a woman identifying herself as the suspect`s sister called FOX 2 News claiming Martin could not have set the dog on fire because she was with other people someplace else at the time.

She also claims the dog had badly bitten the Martin's nephew last year, and Martin's son just a few weeks ago.

A $5,000 reward had been offered in the case by PETA.  It was unknown Thursday who, if anyone would be eligible to collect the money.

Martin is being held on a $50,000 cash bond.

"It made me sick to my stomach, it made me angry," Grim said. "It made me realize that we do walk amongst some very evil people."


Related Stories:

PETA To Add Up to $5,000 Reward in Burned Dog Case

Dog Found Burned in St. Louis Dies (Warning: Graphic Content)

Friend me on Facebook:  facebook.com/PaulSchankmanTV
Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/PaulSchankmantv
Email me:  Paul.Schankman@tvstl.com

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.