Neighbors pull man from home explosion rubble

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DE SOTO, MO (KTVI) - Jefferson County firefighters say it’s a miracle a man survived a house explosion that caused the structure to fall on him in the basement.  It happened in the 5400 block of Knorpp about four miles south of De Soto.

Neighbors heard the explosion and ran out of their homes. They saw the black smoke and went to offer help. Karen Knox and her 18-year-old granddaughter Katherine drove to the scene and were stunned by what they saw.

They heard a man in the basement yelling for help. He apparently had been working on the electricity in the home, he turned off the power and when he turned it back on the explosion occurred. The 63-year-old man was burned on his arms, hands and face.  The two women flagged down a man driving by. That man and the 18-year-old pulled the injured person out of the basement.

The injured man is expected to survive. He lived in his camper behind the home where his son and son’s family lived. No one else was home when this happened.

State fire officials are investigating. A backhoe was brought in to lift the heavy pieces of the destroyed home.  Rescuers smelled propane gas when they arrived on the scene. One rescuer turned off a leaking propane tank.


2 comments

  • Loryn

    It didn’t say it was an electrical fire. It said there was a leaky propane tank. It would appear that turning the electricity back on created a spark that caused the leaking propane to explode.

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.