Scott Schaffer with Blade Technologies Inc tells us what kinds of scams are out there and what you can do to avoid them.
1. Malicious holiday apps for your system and mobile devices.
2. Messaging scams: don`t click on a link sent to you via text or email unless you are sure of the sender.
3. Rogue greeting cards: be sure it comes from a reputable e-card site and be sure it is from someone you know.
4. Fake charities: before answering an appeal for a donation, be sure you check the website closely to make sure it is not an imitation.
5. Shipping notification scams: don`t click on a link that purports to be from a shipping company unless you are expecting a delivery.
WHAT TO DO
1. Click with care.
2. Use computer security software: antivirus, anti-malware, etc.
3. Use strong passwords, or preferably, passphrases.
4. Know your enemy.
5. Be wary. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.