LEMAY, MO (KTVI) – The River City Casino and Hotel in Lemay was evacuated Thursday morning after a fire started in a kitchen area.
Firefighters got the call a little before 9:00am. They tell us the fire started in an open pit in the kitchen where they cook things like steak.
Investigators say it likely started from a grease build up in that pit area.
Casino officials say it started in the Great Food Exposition. That’s basically the buffet area.
Authorities tell us most of the building was evacuated, including the casino, because the alarms inside went off. The only part that wasn’t evacuated was the hotel.
We’re told there weren’t many patrons inside the casino area at the time. About 50 employees were also evacuated.
People were allowed back in around 11:00am.
Authorities say there was more smoke than fire, but there is some damage.
A casino spokesperson says they hope to reopen the buffet area by the end of the day.
Fire crews from Lemay, Mehlville and the city of St. Louis all responded.
Fortunately, nobody was hurt.