Firefighters warn homeowners to use caution when spreading mulch
(KTVI)– It’s finally time to get out in the yard and take advantage of warmer weather.
The Monarch Fire Protection District in Chesterfield is warning homeowners about mulch.
The district responded to two fires this week after mulch was spread over landscaping lights that caught fire.
Most yard lights are low-voltage but can still produce enough heat to ignite mulch.
Homeowners should leave clear space around the mulch to avoid creating a fire hazard.