Illinois camp calls off session over illness

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MONTICELLO, Ill. (AP) _ The director of a summer camp in eastern Illinois now says he’ cancelling the next session after learning that dozens of children and staff who became ill last week were infected by a highly contagious virus.

Curt Sinclair is director of the 4-H Memorial Camp in Monticello.

He told The News-Gazette in nearby Champaign (http://bit.ly/1ot5z9j) on Saturday that state health officials confirmed that the illness was norovirus. The highly contagious virus causes stomach pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Sinclair said about 30 campers and 10 staff members became ill. The first illnesses were reported on Thursday. More than 300 campers and staff were at the camp at that time.

Another weeklong session was to have started Sunday. But Sinclair says he called it off.

3 comments

  • Camp Counselor

    As an employee at 4-H Memorial Camp, we were all devastated when we found out that camp was going to be cancelled for the week. I felt horrible for all the kids that were scheduled to come to camp and then them not being able to. I know that camp is something that kids look forward to all year. However, canceling camp was the right thing to do. We are highly concerned about the health and safety of our staff and campers. We just could not risk another outbreak of the norovirus with employees still contagious. I was infected with the virus and the best thing you can do is stay home for a few days and rest. We are excited to welcome campers in the next session of camp on June 29th!!

Comments are closed.