Projects added to Missouri transportation tax
The Missouri Department of Transportation has revised its list of projects that would be funded by a proposed sales tax on the August ballot. Here is a look at a few of the projects that were added to the list:
1. Kansas City Streetcars. Adds $124 million in state funding for streetcar lines in Kansas City, contingent upon approval of $356 million in local funding. Finances streetcars along Main Street from Pershing Road to the University of Missouri-Kansas City campus, along Independence Avenue from the River Market to Benton Boulevard, and along Linwood Boulevard from Main Street to Prospect Avenue.
2. Railroad Trail. Adds $24 million in state funding to help purchase a former Rock Island Rail Line corridor from Kanas City to Pleasant Hill for use as a hiking and biking trail, contingent upon $48 million from Jackson County.
3. Interstate 44. Adds $13.5 million for a new interchange at Marshfield, contingent upon $1.6 million in funding from the city and Webster County.
4. U.S. 54. Adds $12.7 million to expand the lanes of the highway from Mexico, Missouri, eastward to its intersection with Missouri 19.
5. Interstate 35. Adds $4.5 million for improvements to the interchange with Missouri 152 in Liberty, contingent upon $7 million of local funding.