SALEM, MO (KTVI)-- A teenager is seriously injured when he set off what's called a "sparkler bomb."
A warning, some of the video is graphic but it shows just how dangerous fireworks can be.
Firefighters and other departments say even though the Fourth of July has passed, people continue to set off fireworks until they are all used up.
Some believe sparklers are low risk but they aren`t and even more dangerous when they are combined to create a sparkler bomb.
Mark Shrewsbury of Salem, Missouri lost his thumb, two fingers and part of his hand when a sparkler bomb he made exploded earlier than he planned. His fascination with explosions caused devastating injuries.
Even with medication, the pain brought tears to his eyes. Mark was hospitalized for six nights. His arms and legs are covered with burns and scabs caused by the exploding sparklers. His hearing and eyesight were also damaged. He`s telling his story so other people don`t do what he did.
His mom says the family has no insurance and even though it was not a smart thing to do, she`s hoping someone will lend Mark a hand to pay the expensive medical bills.
Mark plans to get back to normal as soon as he can. He wants to be a law enforcement officer and he`s been told he could still achieve that career goal.