(KTVI)-A rare brain-eating amoeba kills a Kansas City area girl. The amoeba that killed nine-year-old Hally Yust from Spring Hill, Kansas, is found in fresh water.
The amoeba entered through her nose leading to meningitis-like symptoms and, ultimately, her death.
The girl loved to water-ski and had been in four bodies of water the last few weeks. Hally's parents say they can't be sure which body of water the amoeba was in.
The amoeba, known as naegleria fowleri, is common, but infections are rare. But when someone is infected by the amoeba, they rarely survive. You can lower the chances by wearing nose plugs while in fresh water.
The risk increases in the summer with warmer water temperatures.