ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)-- Workers at the Missouri Poison Center at SSM Cardinal Glennon are on alert after a warning issued by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration. It concerns powdered caffeine.
Julie Weber, the director of the center said, "It can kill."
That's what happened to a 18-year-old Ohio high school student who used powdered caffeine. He died just before his graduation.
Powdered caffeine can easily be purchased on the internet. And it is potent. One teaspoon is equal to 25 cups of coffee. The symptoms are more than just the jitters or shaking.
Weber said, "Excessive shaking can lead to a seizure. Or it has affects we don't see. It causes a miss-beat of the heart and it can lead to death."
Experts have already been concerned about young people drinking too many energy drinks. The poison center has received 12 calls this year from people who've had too many energy drinks, some of them were vomiting, some were rushed to the hospital.
A Fox TV station in New York reports that now some young people are snorting the caffeine powder. The F. D. A. is warning people to stay away from it. They are especially concerned about young adults who may be drawn to it because it is a stimulant.
Julie Weber said, "There`s absolutely no reason to have the powder caffeine on the internet, in the home. It`s just not necessary."
The F. D. A. continues to investigate and said it will consider taking regulatory action.