Woman accidently poisoned by sweet tea drink

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(KTVI) – A Utah woman is in critical condition after she was poisoned from a cup of sweet tea.  According to FOX 13 Jan Harding’s mouth and throat stared to burn just seconds after tasting the drink.

Her attorney says said she spit it out, turned to her husband and said, “I think I just drank acid.”

When the tea was analyzed, officials found a mix of cleaning chemicals in the serving container with the tea.  Investigators believe a Dickey’s employee mixed the chemical, “Clean Force Fryer Cleaner,” into the sweet tea drink thinking it was sugar.

Following Sunday’s incident, the Salt Lake County Health Department was called to the restaurant to inspect the facility.

Officials found no existing risk to the public after completing a routine review.

See the full story on FOX 13

 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.