EUREKA, MO (KTVI)- Rockwood Drug-Free Coalition provides leadership, education and resources to prevent and address substance abuse among youth.
Funding is provided through a federal Drug-Free Communities grant award, as well as state and private foundation awards and in-kind contributions from many community partners.
What can parents and other caring adults do to help reduce the likelihood that children engage in risky behavior?
They can help youth develop building blocks of healthy development.
Important facts for parents to know:
* The average age of first use of alcohol is age 12.
* The average age of first use of marijuana is age 13.
* Early and regular use of marijuana can cause an 8 point permanent drop in IQ
* E-cigarettes can be used to smoke marijuana and synthetic drugs
* Fewer kids use when adults refuse
Youth involvement is a critical component of substance abuse prevention. Rockwood School District encourages teens to serve as student advisors to the coalition and as mentors to younger students. They provide leadership training and seek engagement in all aspects of our strategic planning and program implementation.