ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)-In November 2013, Rachelle Lecuyer’s 17-year old son, Jacob, was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a type of bone cancer. He was in treatment for close to a year with extensive chemotherapy treatments and three surgeries. Rachelle wrote about their experiences on Caring Bridge. Recently, the family was featured in St. Louis Magazine Spring Family issue.
Rachelle found help and support from the American Cancer Society, Friends of Kids with Cancer, Forest Park Pediatrics, and St. Louis Children’s Hospital.
If she was asked for advice for caring with a child going through chemotherapy, she would say,
- Develop a relationship with your child's doctor(s).
- Find resources to help your child and family and use them.
- Let your friends, family and community help you with chores and meals.
- Take care of yourself: eat right, drink plenty of water, exercise and try to maintain a regular sleep schedule.
- Learn to enjoy life when you can, especially if you have other children, they will need life to stay as normal as possible.