O’Fallon police-involved standoff near I-70 ends with suspect in custody

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

O’FALLON, MO (KTVI) – A single gunman was taken into custody around 10:45pm Sunday, after holding police at bay for hours.  The suspect was barricaded in the basement of a home on Cordes St.  in O’Fallon, Mo.  Police used tear gas to get him out safely.  He was taken to the hospital to be checked for a dog bite injury.

Police had shut down Main St. and shut down a fast food restaurant and couple businesses located in the area.  “Our first thing is the safety of not only the suspect, but everybody in this neighborhood,” said Chief Roy Joachimstaler, O’Fallon Missouri Police Department.  “It’s disrupted this neighborhood, and we want to be very very positive that everybody stays safe here.”

People familiar with the man say he was in a bad relationship and would not surrender to police without a fight.  Police say the man has a felony warrant from another state, but did not elaborate on the charge.

Police say they were called to the home of a female on Cordes for a domestic disturbance.  When they arrived, they say the man barricaded himself inside the home.

“She does have some minor injuries, but we have her and we have a full statement,” said Joachimstaler.

Police did send a canine inside the home to search for the man.  Officers heard what they believed to be a muffled gunshot.  They backed away and contacted St. Charles County for assistance.  A tactical unit responded and began negotiations with the man.

The man indicated he was armed, and the canine was injured.  Joachimstaler said negotiators convinced the man to allow the dog to be rescued by removing part of a barricade at the top of the basement steps.

“He put the dog through the opening,” said Joachimstaler.  The police canine was taken to an area veterinarian and it did not appear to have been shot.

Shortly after 8 pm there were sounds of multiple flash bangs or gunfire.  Police continued to block of Main St. and encouraged residents to stay away from the area.



Google Map for coordinates 38.804375 by -90.700068.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.