Former speaker Hastert pleads not guilty to federal misconduct charges

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO -Former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert has pleaded not guilty to charges in a federal hush-money case.  During Hastert’s first court appearance since he was indicted last month, defense attorney Thomas C. Green entered the pleas on Hastert’s behalf. He also waived the reading of the indictment.

The May 28 indictment says he agreed to pay $3.5 million to keep someone, referred to only as “Individual A,” from revealing a secret about past misconduct.

U.S. District Judge Thomas M. Durkin set the conditions for Dennis Hastert’s pretrial release saying he must not violate any laws, cooperate in collection of DNA if authorized by court and advise officials before changing his name or phone number.

Hastert’s defense attorney says the former House speaker has already surrendered his passport. He’s also required to have no contact with victims or witnesses in the case and have any firearms removed from his property by June 23.