ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) - Have you ever cleaned out your spice rack thinking your collection’s shelf-life would expire?
Carol Hurst with Old Town Spice Shoppe joins FOX 2 to talk about how long you should hold on to your spices.
- Ground spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, turmeric) : 2 to 3 years
- Herbs (basil, oregano, parsley) : 1 to 3 years
- Seasoning blends: 1 to 2 years
- Whole spices (cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks) : 4 years
- Seeds: 4 years (except for poppy and sesame seeds, which should be discarded after 2 years)
- Extracts: 4 years (except for vanilla, which will last forever)