Police shoot and kill suspect in north St. Louis

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) - Police shot and killed a suspect in north St. Louis at around 11:30am Wednesday. They say the suspect, 18-year-old Mansur Ball-Bey pointed a gun at them during a chase.  About 200 demonstrators gathered to protest the officer involved shooting.

Chief Sam Dotson says two young armed male suspects ran out of the back of a home near the intersection of Page and Walton in north St. Louis on Wednesday. Two police officers executing a search warrant chased the suspects running from the home.

Officers told the suspects to drop their weapons. Police say one of the suspects raised his gun and pointed it at officers. One of the officers then shot at the suspects. The other officer then fired three more shots.  The injured man in his 20's continued running until he collapsed. Police say the other suspect got away.

A stolen gun from Rolla, MO was recovered near the suspect's body.

Members of Special Operations and the Tactical Unit were in the area to execute a search warrant. They found three more guns and some crack cocaine in the home. The neighborhood has been flagged for more policing after a few high profile crimes in the area.

High Crime Area

Chief Dotson also called the area a hotbed of crime during a press conference. The neighborhoods bordering Page and Walton include Fountain Park and Lewis Place. City homicide statistics from this year show just two total between the two neighborhoods.

There has been a lot of violence in the neighborhood. This is the same intersection where a 93-year-old Tuskegee airman was carjacked this week.  In July a 3-year-old boy shot himself in the head after finding a loaded gun inside a home on Walton. In June two people were shot in the 1200 block of Walton. A man was shot at the intersection of Page and Walton in March.

The death also happened on the anniversary of the officer involved shooting of Kajieme Powell. Police say Powell was waving a knife at officers when they shot and killed him near a north St. Louis market.

About 200 demonstrators gathered in the area after the shooting.  They were marching to mark the anniversary of Powell's death in downtown St. Louis.   They  are blocking the intersection despite several police orders to clear the road.

There are shooting witnesses being interviewed by police. The two officers who fired at the suspects are on administrative leave.  They were not injured in the altercation.


Google Map for coordinates 38.657143 by -90.256528.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.