Man charged for deadly New Year’s Eve crash

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) - A man is charged after a deadly crash on New Year's Eve. He had double the legal limit of alcohol in his system at the time. Now he's been charged with five felonies. A warrant has been issued for his arrest.

A young man and his date were heading west on Chouteau at 9:30pm last December 31st when a speeding, drunk driver traveling north on Jefferson failed to stop at the red light. The crash killed the young 20 year old man and seriously injured his 16-year-old girlfriend.

Friends of 20-year-old Xander Wohlstadter describe him as a bright young man who loved to cook. His mother says he was planning a career as a dietician and preparing to enroll at St. Louis University. The New Year'S Eve accident ended those dreams.

The crash happened at the intersection of Chouteau and Jefferson. Court documents say a 27 year old Belleville man was driving a Mercedes at 55 miles per hour north on Jefferson when he struck the couple's car. Willie Green is now charged with involuntary manslaughter and a series of other felonies.

"We take someone who drives drunk and kills another human being very seriously. We'll hold them accountable for that, so if you drive a car while you're drunk, you kill another person, that's a homicide That's an involuntary manslaughter." said Asst. Circuit Attorney Mary Pat Carl.

The Circuit Attorney's Office is praising witnesses to the crash who, on New Year's Eve, stayed to tell police what they knew. Despite their help, it took eight months to complete the crime lab tests needed to file charges.

"It's really important in a criminal case that we wait until we have all of the evidence that can be available to us. In this case we're talking about witness statements, blood alcohol levels, DNA from the defendants vehicle and all those are pieces of a puzzle.  It is really important we have all of the pieces so we have a clear picture." said Mary Pat Carl.

Wohlstadter's mother says it has been difficult waiting these eight months for criminal charges to be filed. She wonders why it took so long to get the lab tests completed.