ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)- There are new developments in the ongoing case of whether families who were told their babies died at Homer G. Phillips Hospital were told the truth.
According to our partners at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Judge David Dowd gave the St. Louis Health Department until January 31, 2016 to find hospital records that indicate whether families were told the truth about the deaths of babies decades ago at the hospital.
The search began after a lawyer claimed multiple babies who were born at the city-operated hospital were stolen and sold decades ago. The facility closed in 1979.
Another lawyer sued on behalf of families to force the Health Department to release medical records about babies believed to have died at Phillips. Those records sat for years collecting dust and sometimes mold after they were boxed up and stored.
Questions arose about the fate of babies thought to have died at Phillips after the case of Zella Jackson Price played out earlier this year.
Someone at Phillips apparently told Price years ago that her prematurely born daughter had died. Her daughter turned out to be alive and there was a heartwarming reunion between Price and the young woman.
Claims from her lawyer fizzled after records showed the Price didn`t deliver her daughter at Homer G. Phillips.
Nonetheless, the case still raised questions in the minds of many families about what happened to their children.
A spokesperson for Mayor Francis Slay tells the Post that six workers will conduct the search which will take roughly 500 hours.
Employees will go through 3,000 boxes containing an estimated six million pages.
The Post says the Health Department will do the search without any outside help.