ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) - Spring is in the air and many folks are itching to get outside and get active. But you need to be careful if you have been slacking in your fitness routine during the winter months. Many people don’t maintain the physical activity level necessary to jump right back into a favorite sport or activity and therefore open themselves up to injury.
Steps to take to reduce injury:
- Maintain a regular and balanced routine: Activity should be performed regularly and should include a variety of cardiovascular activity, stretching, and weightlifting.
- Use the correct equipment: Make sure that you have the proper gear and safety equipment for your activity.
- Perform a warm-up before beginning the activity: Warming up the muscles and tendons prior to exertion can help to prevent sprains.
- Listen to your body: The “no pain, no gain” theory is not accurate in this case. If you feel sharp or stabbing pain with an activity, you should stop.
- Do not increase your activity or intensity too quickly: Start with an intensity or activity level that you can handle, and do not increase by more than 10% each week.