Contact 2 – Fraudsters posing as agents of Treasury Dept.

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) - In this Contact 2 report we have information on a scam call we've received dozens of complaints about. Several members of our staff are among the group of people who’ve received these bogus calls from people posing as representatives of the US Treasury Department.

People who've received these calls tell us they come from a variety of phone numbers. Some appear to be from Washington, DC, others have gotten calls from numbers appearing to be from Nevada, Oklahoma, and Kansas.

The recording states you've getting contacted because of a tax fraud against your name. The message goes on to say that ignoring this correspondence and not returning the call could result in charges and a potential arrest. This is a scam. The Treasury Department does not operate like this. In fact, the real Treasury Department has a message on its phone line warning the public about this scam.

The following information comes from the Treasury Department website.

There are numerous telephone and email scams in which individuals claim to be employees of the Treasury Department. These scammers often state that they are from the “Department of Legal Affairs,” offer grant money in exchange for you wiring a small payment, or threaten to arrest you within a short period of time unless payment is made. Do not provide personal information or payment to these individuals. Their actions are crimes under Titles 18 and 31 of the United States Code, and the Treasury Office of Inspector General is working to stop them.

If they claim to be from Treasury, report it to with a description. If it was a phone contact, include:
• the exact date and time that you received the call(s)
• the phone number of the caller
• the geographic location and time zone where you received the call
• a description of the communication.

If they claim to be from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or it is about taxes, report it to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration.