ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)-After Hurricane Matthew raked across Haiti leaving nearly a dozen dead and thousands displaced, those who want to help need to check charities carefully before making donations.
Chris Thetford of the Better Business Bureau joined us with some helpful tips.
- Rely on respected experts to evaluate a charity
- Be wary of claims that 100 percent of donations assist victims
- Be cautious when giving online to unfamiliar charities
- Find out if the charity has a presence in the impacted areas
- Find out if the charity is providing direct aid or raising money for other groups
- Gifts of clothing, food or other in-kind donations may not be appropriate
- Be cautious about crowdfunding