Healthy home checklist to avoid holiday sickness

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)- There are some things you probably have in your house for Christmas decorations that can make you sick. Medical Director at Total Access Urgent Care Dr. Paul Hinrichs has a healthy home holiday checklist so you can celebrate the holidays without sickness.

Many people may experience Christmas tree syndrome of real and artificial trees.  There are molds living in Christmas trees that can trigger severe asthma attacks, fatigue, sinus congestion and more. Fake trees can cause problems if they are not wrapped properly and have accumulated dust and mold spores.

Candles can emit chemicals and fumes that irritate breathing, triggering allergies and asthma. For better breathing choose candles made from soybean, palm, hemp or beeswax

Your wood burning fireplace may keep you warm but it also may cause problems that include hidden cracks, creosote buildup or venting problems that can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Dr. Paul Hinrichs’ interview goes over how to avoid these problems and make your house healthier for the holidays .

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.