FOREST PARK in ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) – In 15 years’ time, Jason Kasal has learned a thing or two at Steinberg Ice Rink.
“I have learned to skate backwards, which was really amazing to be able to skate backwards all the way around the rink,” said Kasal, an employee at Steinberg Skating Rink. “But I still can’t stop.”
T’was the second day of December and all through St. Lou, there were plenty of ways to exercise outdoors, and choices quite a few.
“It is a St. Louis tradition going on since 11/11/1957,” Kasal said.
Since November 12, Steinberg has been open for its winter season, even if it’s just now starting to feel like December is setting in.
“It is a Norman Rockwell painting and there’s so many families that come here; it’s a great outdoor activity,” Kasal said.
Health and fitness experts agree: aside from burning calories, a two-hour ice skating session is a good, low-impact outdoor workout with cardiovascular benefits.
But this year, St. Louisans have more choices besides Steinberg:
- A synthetic surface rink opening December 27 at Luther Ely Smith Square, between the Arch and the Old Courthouse
- Union Station is home to Glacier Park, which includes snow tubing and more
- The ice rink among the 700,000 holiday lights at Anheuser-Busch Brewery
- Shaw Park ice rink, between the trees of Shaw Park and the buildings of downtown Clayton
- The Meadows Shopping Center in Lake Saint Louis
- Florissant municipal outdoor rink
- Granite City municipal outdoor rink