Affton Fire Dept demonstrates the danger of neglected Christmas trees

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

AFFTON, MO (KTVI) - Did you know that 1 in every 4 Christmas tree fires is caused by a heat source being placed too close to the tree?  And joining FOX 2 this morning to further explain how quickly a dry tree can catch fire is Private Mark Bryant and Assistant Chief Ben Waser from the Affton Fire Department.

According the NFPA, National Fire Protection Association:

  • US Fire departments responded to 210 house fires that began because of a Christmas tree between 2010 and 2014
  • Although Christmas Tree fires are not common, when they do occur they tend to be more serious
  • 1 in every 4 Christmas tree caused by heat source placed to close to the tree
  • Keep trees at least 3 feet from fire place, space heaters and candles
  • Make sure to have working smoke detectors in the home
  • Be sure to turn off or unplug Christmas tree lights when you go to bed or when you leave the house
  • If your tree has not been watered on a regular basis, it has as increased fire potential and should be removed from the house
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.