STLMoms: Kids swallowing foreign objects

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS_ The kids are home from school and looking for things to do. But it also means they have more time to swallow items around the house they shouldn’t.

Gastroenterologist Dr. Amana Nasir, with Mercy Children’s Hospital, has a warning for parents.

What toys should we not allow kids to play with until a certain age?

•Always use age-appropriate toys
•Do not give children coins as a reward
•Check the child’s room and car seat for any small items they could choke on
•Make sure battery panels on toys are screwed tightly
•Keep small batteries and magnets away from kids

Signs of ingested foreign bodies:

Symptoms may include excessive drooling, a lack of appetite, stomach aches, vomiting or cough.

Fidget Spinners choking hazard: 

Following age recommendations on the packaging, buying only from reputable retailers, and inspecting them frequently for loose parts.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.