Donate to the American Red Cross to help Hurricane Florence victims

Chicago to file federal lawsuit over sanctuary cities threat

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO (AP) _ Mayor Rahm Emanuel says Chicago will continuing fighting President Donald Trump’s immigration policies with a lawsuit alleging it’s illegal for the federal government to withhold public safety grants from so-called sanctuary cities.

The federal lawsuit is expected to be filed Monday. A day earlier Emanuel said Chicago won’t “be blackmailed” into changing its values as a welcoming city.

Chicago officials say there are new qualifications for a grant requiring cities to share information with federal immigration authorities, which they allege are unconstitutional.

Chicago received over $2 million in such grants last year, which have been used for buying police vehicles.

Two law firms are helping Chicago with the case on a pro bono basis.

Federal officials threatened to withhold funding for sanctuary cities, saying they don’t comply with federal laws.