Smoke from Webster Groves house fire can be seen for miles

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WEBSTER GROVES, MO - A family returned home to ruin this afternoon after their house caught fire in Webster Groves. The fire started about 2pm Tuesday and smoldered for about five hours at a two story home on Fairview Avenue. It was an intense that spread from the lower part of the home into the attic. No one was home at the time of the fire.

Bommarito Automotive Skyfox showed a column of smoke coming from from the home and it was fully involved when firefighters arrived at the scene.
Webster Groves firefighters were on the scene within three minutes and they quickly called in a second alarm. About nine fire departments from surrounding municipalities responded. The fire quickly spread throughout  the two story wood frame home which is over 100 years old.  

The neighbors said the family who lives was not at home at the time.  The woman who lives there arrived as firefighters were battling the blaze. She was visibly upset and being consoled by neighbors.  Dan talked with a neighbor who contacted  the homeowner to let her know about the fire.

"I called my neighbor whose home this is she didn't answer so I text her and said your house is on fire and the fire department is here she called me back right away and said he was at the zoo she was upset obviously."

Lila Armbruster ran to the home when she saw the flames. "I saw a whole bunch of smoke coming out of the window and so I ran outside and I went back there and one my neighbors was getting the dog out and I got hit  in the face by a piece of flaming wood. There was smoke coming out of the back windows and three was a lot o fire and one of their trees caught fire."

Webster Groves Fire Chief Mike Capriglione said the age of the home played a factor in how the fire spread. "Its primarily wood frame and century type which this one is, they  were not built with fire stops so there was a lot of void spaces going from the basement all the way up to the attic."

The chief said the cause of the fire is not yet known. Neighbors say it appeared the fire started at the back of the home and quickly spread throughout the first floor and into the second floor. No one was injured but the home was gutted by fire, smoke and water.