St. Louis firefighters spend day battling five-alarm fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS - Two St. Louis firefighters and a warehouse employee were treated for minor injuries Wednesday after a building in a south city neighborhood caught fire.

The fire started around 10:30 a.m. in the basement of Park Warehouse Services, located at 3937 Park Avenue, near St. Louis University Hospital.  About 12-15 people were inside of the one-story building at the time. Between 80 and 100 firefighters responded to battle the blaze.

The fire is burning so hot and bright that there will be hot spots for quite awhile. That will make it hard for those who have valuables inside to get inside to see what it left from the smoke and flames.

We've heard from a number of people who work in the warehouse and others who lease business space and store products for businesses. It is where Reedy Press stored hundreds of books. So many of the history books about St. Louis and Missouri that you see on store shelves went up in flames Wednesday.

In the building there was everything from shampoos to sanitizers and 160,000 citronella candles stored there. One man who worked here told us hundreds of new lawn mowers were in the building.

A woman who owns Angie's Transportation says that 40 of her trucks are stored at the building. The trucks and drivers were all on the road when the fire broke out.

John Cornell  says he is thinking about his business and others that lost theirs. Many employees are now out of jobs just before the holidays.

Another casualty of the fire was that the Moolah Shriners stored most of toys they give away to children at Shriners Hospital during the Holiday's were destroyed in the blaze.  The Shriners will be taking donations at its facility located at 12545 Fee Fee Road, to replace the toys destroyed.

One big concern is the smoke and air quality in St. Louis. People living in neighboring homes are worried about their small children and breathing all this stuff in. The fire department says they can tell just by the color of the black smoke that its packed with carcinogens.

Late Wednesday night the injured firefighter was released from the hospital after being treated for his injury.