Woman dead, child critical after carbon monoxide poisoning

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GARY, Ind. (AP) _ Authorities say an elderly woman is dead and a young girl was in critical condition after they apparently suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in northwestern Indiana.

Gary Fire Department spokesman Mark Jones says crews responded Wednesday afternoon to a home on the city’s west side and found an oven was on. He says firefighters discovered high carbon monoxide readings and found two people in cardiac arrest.

Jones tells The (Northwest Indiana) Times the woman was pronounced dead at a hospital. WLS-TV reports the child was airlifted to a Chicago hospital.

Jones says the oven was apparently being used to help heat the home. The TV station reports, however, that the home had furnace problems that were being repaired.

The child was reportedly 4 or 5 years old. Names weren’t immediately released.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.