Jury selection in Gov. Greitens trial will continue to Tuesday; may cause delay

ST. LOUIS, MO — Jury selection will continue into Tuesday which could delay the trial of Gov. Greitens at least one day. Jury selection is taking longer than anticipated in Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens’ trial on an invasion-of-privacy charge related to an extramarital affair.

Through midday Friday, fewer than 60 of the prospective 160 jurors had been considered. Circuit Judge Rex Burlison said some who had been scheduled for Friday will instead have to be questioned Monday, pushing opening arguments back.

Greitens is accused of taking and transmitting a compromising photo of the woman without her permission in 2015, before he was elected. If convicted, he could face prison time. The governor has denied criminal wrongdoing but acknowledged having an affair.

Greitens’ attorneys have sought to dismiss potential jurors with knowledge of the accusations against the governor.

According to defense, 16,000 images were reviewed on Greitens phone and none were associated with the alleged former mistress. There was no evidence of a photo taken on the date in question and investigators did not observe any artifacts for a deleted image that day.

The defense says the Circut Attorney’s Office first search warrant for Governor’s computer and phone data was April 19.  That was more than three months after investigation announcement. Because of the last-minute action,  attorney Jim Martin says they’re concerned,  “what surprises they may want to spring on us.”

This comes after Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner’s office obtained Governor Greitens cellphone. Two courtrooms at the Carnahan Courthouse were sealed off Tuesday as two forensic experts went through Greitens’ phone, making a digital copy after Judge Burlison signed search warrants Monday night.

They also collected data from the governor’s Gmail account and extracted potential evidence from a different phone number connected to the governor.