Cougar that attacked cyclists was underweight

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SEATTLE (AP) _ The Latest on a cougar attack that killed one mountain biker and wounded another outside Seattle (all times local):

4:10 p.m.

Authorities say the cougar that attacked two cyclists east of Seattle, killing one of them, appears to have been emaciated.

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Police Capt. Alan Myers said Sunday that the cougar was about 100 pounds (45 kilograms), when a typical 3-year-old male in the area would be 140 to 180 pounds (63 to 81 kilograms). A necropsy will try to determine why the animal was underweight.

Myers also identified the victims of the attack. Thirty-one-year-old Isaac Sederbaum of Seattle remained in satisfactory condition at a hospital after being bitten on the head. Killed was 32-year-old S.J. Brooks, also of Seattle.


12:30 p.m.

A mountain biker who survived a cougar attack that killed his friend east of Seattle is still hospitalized.

Harborview Medical Center spokeswoman Susan Gregg said the 31-year-old man was in satisfactory condition Sunday.

He and a 32-year-old man were riding on a trail in the Cascade Mountain foothills on Saturday when the mountain lion began following them.

Authorities said they did everything right, getting off their bikes, making noise and trying to scare the animal off. One even smacked it with his bike after it charged.

The cougar ran off, but it returned and attacked when the men got back on their bikes. State wildlife agents used dogs to track the cougar and found it in a tree. They shot and killed it.



Authorities say one man was killed and his friend injured when a cougar attacked them during a morning mountain bike ride outside Seattle.

The cougar was later found up a tree near the dead man’s body, where agents for the state’s Fish and Wildlife police shot and killed it hours after the Saturday attack, the Seattle Times reported.

The names of neither man were immediately released.

The injured man was in satisfactory condition at a hospital. Authorities say the cougar initially attacked him before running away. Moments later, it returned with deadly results.

Rich Beausoleil, the state’s bear and cougar specialist, says it was only the second fatality in Washington state in the last 94 years.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.