Trial to start June 4 for man charged in SIU student’s death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MURPHYSBORO, Ill.- A man charged with killing a 19-year-old Southern Illinois University student in 2014 is set to go to trial next month.

The Southern Illinoisan reports 23-year-old Gaege Bethune’s trial is scheduled for June 4. He’s charged in the death of 19-year-old Pravin Varughese (VAHR’-geez), whose body was found in a wooded area in Carbondale five days after he was reported missing.

Bethune was arrested last year after Varughese’s mother questioned authorities’ original finding that her son died accidentally from exposure to cold. She said a private autopsy found injuries to his head and face.

Bethune pleaded not guilty. Prosecutor David Robinson said Wednesday there’s no plea deal being considered. Bethune said he doesn’t want to pursue a deal, stating “At this time I don’t believe there is anything to discuss.”

Information from: Southern Illinoisan

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.