Officials fear algae toxin has tainted city water supply

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENFIELD, Iowa – Officials have urged people not to drink tap water in a southern Iowa community because they suspect an algae toxin has tainted the supply.

Greenfield Municipal Utilities announced on its Facebook page that microcystin was potentially detected in the drinking water and that a water sample had been sent to a lab Tuesday for testing.

The Des Moines Register reports that the toxin is produced by blue-green algae. A main source of Greenfield city water comes from Lake Greenfield, which has been experiencing an algal bloom.

Drinking water containing microcystin can result in abnormal liver function, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, numbness or dizziness.


___
Information from: The Des Moines Register, http://www.desmoinesregister.com

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.