Wisconsin boy who nearly lost life may have had same infection caused by dog saliva

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Milwaukee, WI – Last week WDJT-TV reported a story about a man who lost limbs because of a dog lick. New research says the same life-threatening infection may be to blame after a Wisconsin boy nearly lost his life two years ago.

Liam Young was placed in a medically induced coma and had to have his fingers and toes amputated. He survived but his illness remained a mystery until now.

“It’s always good having an answer whether we like it or not. It’s always good knowing,” said Chris Young, Liam’s father.

“More than 99% of the people that have dogs will never have this issue. It’s just chance,” said Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, an infectious disease specialist.

Liam’s dad was shocked hearing that Greg Manteufel of West Bend had multiple amputations after the same rare infection.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.