St. Louis County official identified as victim in fatal MetroLink shooting

St. Louis County Health Dept spokesperson Craig LeFebvre

ST. LOUIS -   Police are investigating a shooting in front of the Metro station along Grand Blvd that left one man dead. The innocent victim was St. Louis County Health Dept spokesperson Craig LeFebvre.

According to authorities, two men got into a fight at the Chipotle near Grand and Forest Park Avenue. The argument moved down Grand toward the Metrolink station, and that is where one of the men fired shots. Two men were struck, LeFebvre was shot in the chest and died at the hospital. The other man who was involved in the fight was shot in the face, police report his injuries are not life-threatening.

There were several people around when the shooting happened and police say they interviewed witnesses at the scene.

The suspected gunman is still on the run.  He fled the scene running north on Grand.

St. Louis County Executive Steve Stenger issued this statement about Craig LeFebvre's death:

“We were saddened to learn that Craig LeFebvre, a longtime St. Louis County employee, was shot and killed Tuesday night at a bus stop on South Grand Boulevard in the city of St. Louis. I extend my deepest sympathies to Craig’s family, friends and fellow employees.

According to police, Craig was an innocent bystander in this incident, which started as an argument and escalated into gunfire some distance from the bus stop.

Craig had worked as a public information officer in our Department of Public Health since 2007. He distinguished himself as a hard-working public servant, a dependable employee and a friend to his fellow staff members. He will be deeply missed.”

Statement from Metro:

"At Metro Transit, we are not immune to the violent crimes occurring in the municipalities we serve. Tonight, a dispute that started at another location in the community ended with deadly violence near a major MetroBus stop on Grand Avenue, the Grand Transit Center in St. Louis.

We hope the person responsible for both shootings is swiftly taken into custody. Metro Transit Public Safety officers are assisting the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department with the investigation. Both departments were quick to respond to the shooting scene.

The #70 Grand buses in the area were rerouted tonight while police investigated. The buses are now serving Grand Avenue again between Chouteau and Forest Park. MetroLink service was not impacted."