Mother sues Independence police over fatal shooting of son

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Lawsuit written on brown vintage paper.

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. — The mother of an Independence man who was fatally shot by police last year is suing the city, the police chief and the officer who fired the shot.

Fifty-one-year-old Carlos Cruz was shot in January 2017 at his home. Police say he was shot after pointing a shotgun at officers. Jackson County prosecutors declined to file charges against the officer who shot Cruz.

The Kansas City Star reports the lawsuit contends Cruz was drinking and threatening to kill himself when his mother called police. The lawsuit says Cruz placed his shotgun on a porch railing, remained calm and never threatened officers before he was shot.

Police spokesman Officer John Syme said Tuesday the department doesn’t comment on pending lawsuits.

The lawsuit seeks an unspecified amount of damages.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.