Stove fire forces evacuation of Lincoln University dormitory

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. –  No injuries were reported after a stove fire forced the evacuation of a dormitory at Lincoln University in Jefferson City.

The Jefferson County Fire Department says the fire at Scruggs Hall was reported Wednesday evening.

The university’s police evacuated the building because of heavy smoke on the second floor of the dormitory.

The Jefferson City News-Tribune reports firefighters discovered the building’s sprinkler system controlled the fire, which apparently started on a stove in one room.

Fire damage was contained to the room with the stove.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.