ST. LOUIS, Mo. — The ownership group behind Major League Soccer’s St. Louis team is sharing some new details about their stadium site plan. The proposed 30 acre site will now expand its footprint north of Market Street between 20th and 22nd Streets. They say that this will continue the revitalization of the area by connecting several districts.
The 22,000-seat stadium will be built just north of Market Street, across the street from Union Station. Practice fields will be built just west of Union Station.
St. Louis Board of Alderman President Lewis Reed says the plans look amazing and the stadium will host concerts and other events, making it a top-notch, multi-use facility.
“It’s going to bring in over 300,000 people to the city of St. Louis on an annual basis and guess what they’re going to do? Rent hotels, shop at our shops, eat at our restaurants; that creates revenue to address all sorts of issues,” he said.
Patrick Rishe, director of sports business at Washington University, says the location is fantastic, is underutilized, and the plan larger than first discussed.
“I think one section running parallel to Market, you can use it for off game days or wedding receptions, for business meetings, also talk about using it for e-sports events,” he said.
The stadium will be privately owned and the ownership group will pay property tax on land they purchase from MoDOT. The group is also asking for an abatement of the city’s amusement tax.
Reed says this is all a win-win for everyone involved.
Construction on the stadium is expected to start in December. The St. Louis franchise will begin play in the 2022 MLS season.
MLS 4 The Lou issued several new statements about the proposed stadium and mixed-use retail, restaurants and gathering spaces for the area.
- The team has decided to locate the Team Offices and Training Facility in the City – south of Market, immediately west of Union Station
- Seating capacity of the open-air stadium will be 22,500, with ability to expand to 25,000
- Every seat will be within 120 feet of the pitch, one of the very best views in soccer
- Fans will be able to enter the stadium from all sides. A major entry plaza will serve as an optimal pre-game gathering space for fan processions and post-game celebrations
- Our canopy design will be the most extensive coverage in the MLS and will heighten the sound and energy of our fans, providing an amazing experience for all.
- The pitch will sit 40’ below street level, creating a unique urban footprint with a below-groundlevel playing field for a proudly loud and one-of-a-kind MLS fan experience
- Increasing the rake of the bowl brings ALL fans closer to the action. EVERY seat will be within 120 feet of the pitch for one of the best views in soccer. The closest seats will be just 15 feet from the touchline
- The stadium design will allow for a strong visual connection to the surrounding Downtown West District and neighborhood
- The main stadium entry will be less than 250 feet from Union Station