ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)- Baconfest fires up in Washington, Mo. this weekend. The smoked meat will be in everything, including apple pie, bratwurst and adult beverages.
Saturday, June 13, 2015
5 – 9 P.M.
For more information visit www.BaconFestWashington.com
Chocolate Bacon Toffee
• 2 cups butter
• 2 cups white sugar
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
• 1 pound cooked bacon, crumbled (approximately 3 lbs uncooked)
1. In a large saucepan, combine butter, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Allow to come to a boil and cook until the mixture becomes a dark amber color. Stir occasionally.
2. While toffee is cooking, cover a large baking sheet with aluminum or parchment paper.
3. As soon as the toffee reaches the proper temperature (285 degrees/127 degrees C), pour it out onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate over the top, and let it set for a minute or two to soften.
4. Spread the chocolate into a thin even layer once it is melted. Sprinkle the bacon bits over the chocolate and press in slightly. Putting a plastic bag over your hand will minimize the mess.
5. Place the toffee in the refrigerator to chill until set. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.