This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
(KTVI) – July is National Ice Cream Month and we’ve got a quick way to make a sweet treat. Christian Lane from “Dessert for Two” shows us how to make her Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches.
Here’s the recipe:
- For the spiced chocolate cookies:
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1¼ teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Chocolate extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons non-blackstrap molasses
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar for flattening cookies
For the strawberry ice cream:
- First, make the cookies: preheat the oven to 350, and line a cookie sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter, powdered sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and chocolate extract. Beat until fluffy. Finally, beat in the egg yolk and molasses.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in 3 batches, and beat until just combined. Divide the dough in half visually, and make 4 dough scoops out of each. Roll the dough in your hands to make a ball, and space evenly on the baking sheet. Dip the bottom of a glass in the sugar, and lightly press the cookies flat.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice the strawberries. Add them to a bowl with the vanilla, lemon, sugar, and salt. Mash with a potato masher (or equivalent) until well-combined. Leave a few chunks of berries, however.
- Add the cream and whole milk to the berries, and stir to combine.
- Freeze the mixture according to your ice cream maker’s directions. Mine takes 20 minutes in a pre-frozen bowl.
- Once churned, pour the ice cream into a foil-lined 8×8″ square pan. Freeze until set.
- To serve, cut out 3″ rounds of ice cream and sandwich between two cookies.
Recipe scaled down from a Nielsen-Massey Test Kitchen recipe.