(KTVI) - Muscle cars are out in force at the New York Auto Show. And this looks like your all American muscle car but it's not. John Pertzborn explained as he went driving with Dan in the 2014 Chevrolet SS.
This is the first rear-drive performance sedan from Chevy in nearly 20 years.
The last one was the 1996 Impala SS.
SS functions nicely as a family sedan, but it also runs like a Corvette; 0-to-60: about 5 seconds.
SS gets slapped with a $1,300 federal gas-guzzler tax due to its 17 mpg combined EPA rating -- same as a 6.2-liter Silverado pickup.
More information about the 2014 Chevrolet SS:
- Drive Format: Rear-wheel drive
- Base Price (including destination charge and $1,300 federal gas-guzzler tax): $45,770
- Price as Driven: $45,770
- Engine: 6.2-liter V-8
- Horsepower: 415 at 5900 rpm
- Torque: 415 lb.-ft. at 4600 rpm
- Recommended Fuel: Premium recommended, but not required
- Transmission: Six-speed automatic with paddle shifters
- Suspension: Fully independent
- Brakes: Four-wheel disc w/ Brembo vented rotors up front, ABS, traction and stability control
- EPA MPG: 14 city/21 hwy/17 combined
- Wheelbase: 114.8 inches
- Length: 195.5 inches
- Curb Weight: 3,975 lbs.
- Trunk: 16.4 cu. ft.
- Where Built: Elizabeth, Australia