This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
ST. LOUIS, MO - Many people love to brighten the holidays with lights, both inside and outside their homes. But the Electrical Connection warns you to be careful. Combining old, wire-damaged decorations with a combustible Christmas tree or metal guttering can be a recipe for disaster.
Holiday Light Tips:
- Examine and discard lights with frayed wires. They are not only a fire hazard, but a shock hazard and are especially dangerous if they come in contact with a metal gutter and ladder while being installed.
- Use lights that are Underwriters Laboratories (UL) tested for safety. Be aware that counterfeit electrical decorations have infiltrated the market, so only purchase from reliable retailers.
- Pay attention to whether the lights are rated for indoor or outdoor use and don’t stray from any limitations.
- Consider using LED lights which last 20 times longer and don’t burn hot like traditional incandescent lights.
- Avoid overloading sockets with plugs that could spark a fire.
- Examine extension cords and discard those that are damaged. Be sure to use UL tested extension cords and select for appropriate use -- indoor or outdoor.
- Child-proof all holiday decorations. Lights can be fascinating to young children and if they get too curious can expose them to a live circuit.