Metro reopens Spruce Street Bridge for Opening Day

AM Show
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI)- A new multi-million dollar Metro bridge project right outside Busch Stadium was completed just in time for the big Cardinals home opener. The new Spruce Street Bridge over the Metrolink tracks by the Stan Musial Statue reopened over the weekend. It had been closed since October so crews could completely rebuild the bridge.

The bridge features a new bridge deck, new supports and new wider sidewalks.

Updates were also made to the Metrolink stadium station including new stairs and improved pedestrian access. "When the Cardinals finished their season last fall in October we started this project- knew we had a short window to get it done, tear down the old bridge, construct the new bridge, abutments, new stairs, sidewalks, the works- we knew we had a little window to get that done, needed to be done before opening day and it was completed Saturday we`re happy to say," said Metro spokesperson Patti Beck.

The new bridge has red bricks that are similar to the exterior of Busch Stadium.

It cost $7.5 million, 80% of that came from federal dollars while the other 20% was from local funds.

FOX 2 Newsletters

Sign up for a newsletter from FOX 2 to get updates about news and weather. We offer daily headlines, breaking news, severe weather, and forecast emails.


Latest News

More News