This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) – As the flood waters recede it’s leaving behind some ugly and unhealthy residue, mold. Dr. H. James Wedner, Chief Of Allergies And Immunology At Barnes-Jewish And Washington University School Of Medicine, Has more information about the serious health threats of mold.

Dr. Wedner says that the CDC and the EPA recommend bringing in a trained professional to clean up mold that covers more than 100 square feet or a 10-foot-by-10-foot area. Some states require contractors that clean up mold to be licensed. At the minimum, anyone you hire should have experience getting rid of mold.

Symptoms of mold exposure include wheezing, shortness of breath, sore throats, flu-like aches and pains, and fatigue.